2010-11-23

Strange shoes

So, this page is in Russian, but it's the pictures I want you to focus on. Having a bit of shoe fetischism - I really love shoes - I am alway on the hunt for shoes that stand out. And today I found this page... As said, it's in Russian, so I haven't a clue of what they are saying, but the collections of shoes they have assembled? CRAZY! I know that some of the shoes aren't really shoes, they are just art, but are the other shoes really made for using? Couldn't call it walking.


And no, I don't find them beautiful. Strange, alien, outrageous, yes. Shoes that would be perfect for Lady Gaga. But who else? Yet, I find myself fascinated by them. Like looking at a car crash. 




These shoes are made by a Dutch artist, who found out that she had a brain tumor, when she was studying design in London. This affected her designs, and she made this collection of shoes, mixed with bandaids, prostheses and other hospital aids. First, they just gave her a couple of months to live, but then they managed to remove the tumor, and now she is living a healthy life in Holland, making big money on her art/designs. (I actually saw a documentary about her a couple of weeks ago, by chance)

But nothing new under the sun, eyh? I have read a lot about shoe fashion and shoe history throughout the ages, and from time to time shoe fashion have been a bit wild. A quick lookback:


Like these medieval italian platform shoes

Or these gold kidskin shoes from 1890, called Cromwells. Fancy a walk in these? Or just a shag?

In 1937, Perugia made these. Perugia was the master og heelless shoes,
and has served as inspiration for many modern shoedesigners.

And nowadays, shoes doesn't have to look like shoes at all.


<>
2009

Porcupine shoes, 2009

Where will it end?

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar